Monday, August 11, 2014

4 Month Pure Barre Check In

If you follow me on Instagram you undoubtedly know I'm a #PureBarreAddict. I went to my first class on April 11th and since then have attended 70 classes. Thirty more till I can sign the barre. In celebration of my four months I thought I'd write an all about Pure Barre post. 

This is my 2nd class to 4 month comparison pic. I hope my new cousin in law forgives me for cropping her out of my first pic.  She looked amazing then and even more so now.  But really more about me and my PB experience :). 

What is Pure Barre you ask?  If you check out their website you'll read this description:  
In just 55 minutes you will achieve a full-body workout concentrating on the areas women struggle with the most: hips, thighs, seat, abdominals and arms. The Pure Barre technique is low-impact, protecting your joints by avoiding any bouncing or jumping. Each strength section of the workout is followed by a stretching section in order to create long, lean muscles without bulk. The technique works to defy gravity by tapering everything in and lifting it up!

The concentration involved while taking Pure Barre allows you to block "life" out for the hour, creating the mental benefits similarly obtained by the practice of yoga or meditation. A transformed body and a clear head in just one hour—it doesn't get much better than this! 

If you ask my husband, who has now been to two Pure Barre classes, he'll tell you what it's not. He'd tell you it's not yoga ans it's not ballet. He'd tell you it's hard as *#^~ and very humbling.  For me PB is my hour of peace. Focusing on doing the movements correctly allows me to shut everything else out for 60 minutes.  It is the hardest workout I've ever done but in a totally different way. When I do it right and form the mind body connection my teachers keep telling about, it causes every part of my body to shake and burn.  When I don't give it my best I still burn and sweat like a crazy woman. Yes it works every part of my body and yes it's all based on the smallest movements ever. 
What changes have you noticed?
Good question!  I've noticed a ton of changes. The changes in my body are the most noticeable but also the least important to me. I've lost inches all over, my arms are way trimmer, my tummy's tighter, I'm developing a butt and my legs look way more toned. I definitely still have a long way to go but I'm happy with my progress so far. Mentally I'm more confident and happier. I'm more sure of myself and who I am.  I'm stronger!  I tried the monkey bars the other day and was successful. 
Because of Pure Barre I was willing to take the risk and give the bars a chance. It may seem silly but I've been waiting to do the monkey bars for the last 3 years but never made it off the ladder. I was scared of failing and scared of making a fool of myself in front of my students. I don't take myself as seriously as I use to. I like that. I like that a lot. 
What have you learned?  
Becuase of barre I've learned that if you're not 10 minutes early to something your late.  In the world of PB being 10 minutes early makes a big difference; it can mean getting your favorite spot or getting stuck in the middle with no mirrors to check your form.  I've learned that it's true that "Girls compete with each other, woman emprower one another". People always tell me they can't go to PB yet because they aren't fit enough, too fat, look stupid or not the right type. This always makes me laugh and also annoys me because NO ONE is watching you when you're in class. We're all too busy worrying about ourselves. That is of course unless you're lucky enough to get a shout out from a teacher,  then we're all looking at you to see what you're doing so we can mimic it.  Over the last four months I've met some really sweet, caring geneniune women in my pure barre classes. They've become my newest friends I didn't know I needed but man did I ever. When I don't feel like going they're there to keep me accountable, when I'm running late because of one of my lovely 3 kids they set up my spot for me, when I'm waiting for tests results and slightly freaking out they're checking on me.  We all support each other.



My friend Allison wrote a lovely account of how friendships and #barrebesties work at our studio.  Check it out here: http://homeandneveralone.blogspot.com/2014/08/the-sisterhood-of-sticky-socks.html?m=1 
Can I promise your studio will be the same, no of course not but I can tell you if you don't find your vibe the first time you, try another class time till you do. Most of my friends and I attend evening classes. 

But isn't it really expensive?  
Yes I'll admit it isn't cheap but at my studio they have all types of different packages and offer discounts for teachers, brides to be, moms to be and new moms. Really it's all about priorities and perhaps reallocating other splurges. Just stay away from the merchandise and definitely stay away from the Lily and Laura Bracelets!  No really I'm hooked on them. I've now got 9.  I say your best bet is to sign up for the yearly contract! 
What advice can you give a Pure Barre Newbie?  
First keep the movements SMALL.  The smaller the better. If you think it's easy you're probably doing if wrong, sorry but true. Buy the sticky socks, there's nothing worse than being in a position perfectly and suddenly slipping before the teacher sees it, hey I work for the praise.  You may hate your arms, I'm still working in loving mine, but still try your best to wear tanks the studio lights can be HOT. Actually wear layers because even in winter you'll get hot and being able to take off a layer helps. Don't be afraid to ask for help, just do it after class!  The teachers are really nice and always willing to help. Try different teachers till you find one you feel comfortable asking for help. Don't be afraid to admit you hate the workout during class. Most of us are probably cursing our decision or the teacher.  It's okay because as soon as a teacher gives you props, you complete a set, reach cool down or try on a size you didn't think was possible you'll be hooked. See these pants right below? 


I've gone back to Loft twice to make sure the sizing was right before buying them. See that smile?  The size is right and I'll be buying them on Wednesday. I call that #pureresults. And that my friends is all that matters. 

So we just reached Hershey Park so I have to wrap this up. I'll finish by saying August free friends month at my studio and free friends Friday at most others. Find a Pure Barre Buddy and try it out. I'll tell you more about my progress in 2 months when I reach 6 months. I'll post more pics when I sign the barre in 30 classes. 

Signature

No comments:

Post a Comment