Saturday, October 5, 2013

Five for Friday October 4th


Instead of lamenting on not posting this week I'm going to be excited about linking up with Kacey for the 2nd week in a row!  


My first full week of guided reading was a success!   All the kids loved it and left the table saying that was fun!  I only had one behavior issue while I was running groups and even that wasn't huge. Once again I'm reminded that taking those first 25 days to really teach each component of the Daily 5 is worth it!!  I plan on introducing the Daily 5 choice board in a week and I'm pretty confident they'll be ready. 
I recently started using Deanna Jump's Interactive Reading Notebook and LOVE IT!  Since I added it after sending out our supply letter I merged it with our Guided Reading Journals, so it's a bit more "all over the place" than I'd like but it works. Next year I think I'll ask for 2 subject notebooks so I can have a set space for each. Any who, the notebook is a wonderful way to introduce my kids to a concept and lead them to assessment. This we discussed character so first I gave them the page that says what a character is first, next I did a read aloud and we identified the character together the completed a different page, the following day I read a different story and had them identify the character using yet another one of Deanna's graphic organizers.  Next week I plan on having them read their own just right book and identifying the character. I think her notebook allows for that gradual release of control we all strive for because she has multiple pages for each reading element, strategy, skill.  I also love how it's all in one spot and think it will make report card time so much easier!  Be sure to check it out!  


One area where I am really struggling is getting my workout on. It's so and even Siri is nagging me 
It's a fold problem, first my feet are a mess. They ache like all the time!! I have plantar fasciitis and it just keeps getting worse. I think wearing flip flops all summer did me in. It's so bad I've taken up wearing Danskos, super comfortable but also super ugly and I'm still having some pain at night. So I'm scared to run. Second I feel like there's never enough time for it. Something always come up!! I'm growing quite frustrated. Our schools 5k is in one month and I'd really like to participate so this week I'm throwing out all the excuses and starting back up. Hoping if I alternate between running shoes I can pull it out. 

Since two our kids are now in school we are learning to navigate through all the after school activities and HOMEWORK, we're so lucky Ko only has written homework 2 nights a week. Kev and I have managed to read his nightly library train books with little problem. Making sure we read with AJ, check her home and study for tests has been a bit harder. We always get it done, making sure it gets in her FROG binder and turned in, proved to be a problem this week. Lucky for me she has the best teacher ever, who just so happens to be my best friend and my excuse of well we at least we did spelling is enough. Even better she doesn't make me feel like a bad parent forgetting!  The best part she agrees is AJ's job and willing to echo my message. 
And if all else fails I do have picture to prove we did it!  

Are these all the rage where you live too?  Rainbow Loom bracelets have taken over our school and my home. The truth is I love making them as much as my AJ does.  For some reason making them is relaxing for me. It's kind of like baking, but more figure friendly. I love being able to follow a recipe and have things come out right. Or maybe it's just my inner crafter?  Either way AJ and are enjoying making bracelets.


Till next week!









Signature

No comments:

Post a Comment