Thursday, September 29, 2011
Tuesday, September 27, 2011
Saturday, September 24, 2011
Trying out Windows Live in hopes it might be an easier way to post pics… These are from my I-PICK lesson a few weeks ago. The kids had such fun trying to help me pick out shoes and loved trying to guess what my Vibrams were for. I think I might have to do a follow up lesson because my littles are still having trouble finding books that are Just Right. This past week we started Unit 1 in Treasures and I found that having the main story as a must read during R2S time is a good approach for now. I am hoping that my kids can add shopping for books to the morning routine after this week. So still working on implementing D5 in class but we are getting closer to having all in full swing. Really interested to read how other teachers do basal and D5 together..
Friday, September 23, 2011
So Mrs. D at The Silver Lining, has awarded me a Versatile Blogger Award! I must say I am just happy more people than my sweet Mom are reading this blog. SO thanks to Mrs. D for the shout out I really appreciate it. Per the rules, (I really don't like the word per by the way) I am to share 7 things about myself in this post.
- The Golden Girls is one of my favorite shows. I watched it almost every night before bed when I was in college.
- I tend to use a lot of !!! and CAPS in my sentences. I am loud in person and almost always excited about something so I think that using a lot of exclamations is how I carry my personality over to the online world.
- I have 3 beautiful children! AJ, Ko and Pie are my LIFE and my HEART!
- First up my team teacher Mrs. Cap, who just started blogging and is using it as a great tool to communicate with her students parents!
- Cara Carroll at The First Grade Parade. Must say I visit her site at least 3 times a day!
- Abby at The Inspired Apple. Another one of my top faves! I stalk her and Cara!
- Jenn from Finally in First, designer of my blog and great resource for awesome ideas, rounds out my must visit daily list!
- Leslie and Erin over at the First Grade Fanatics
- Kristin at A Teeny Tiny Teacher
- Mrs. Lochridge at First Grade Factory
- Kathy at First Grade ala Carte who has some awesome games and other goodies.
- Kelli at Castles and Crayons. I am loving her D5 activities!
- The First Grade Connection, is a great place to find lots of info.
- Christie at First Grade Fever has great spelling activities!
Tuesday, September 13, 2011
Wednesday, September 7, 2011
Tuesday, September 6, 2011
Friday, September 2, 2011
Thursday, September 1, 2011
I feel like there should be Jaws music playing with the intro! We had our first full day of school yesterday and I start Read to Self and the Daily 5. My kids LOVED it! I stole some ideas from Pinterest (shocker) and allowed them to chew a gumball while they read. It was amazing to hear littles talking about how they felt when they worked on reading to themselves for 3 minutes. They had great suggestions on what might help them maintain their reading and build stamina. They made full use of the room and made themselves comfy in different spots to sit and read. I am happy to report my seating crates were well received as well! We discussed 2 of the ways to read a book and made some anchor charts to refer back to. As soon as I make our final drafts I will post what my firsties came up with. Tomorrow we begin day 2 and I have already had requests for more gumballs. So far I am sticking with the Daily 5 for Dummies guide I found on ProTeacher. It is so helpful and if you are debating whether you should attempt the D5 it is a must! The first two stories we read where No David and David Goes to School. They were great for introducing the D5's Read to Self Lesson.