Tuesday, September 27, 2011

How 1st Grade Does "Words with Friends"

  

Yesterday I introduced the Work on Words component of the Daily 5 to my class.  While blogstalking this weekend I came across this fabulous worksheet by Michelle Oaks.  While doing my grocery shopping this weekend I picked up some boxes of Scrabble Cheez Its to share with my firsties.  "Munch a Word" along with "Stamp Your Spelling Words" was perfect way to get my kids excited about Work On Words.  I challenged them to come up with 5 words in each column.  I will definitely have to have a follow up mini lesson for each activity but it definitely got them hyped about practicing their spelling and sight words. 

This week I also plan on introducing Spelling Tiles, Sight Word Games and Word Sorts.  We will practice them as a class for about two weeks and then I hope to put on a few at a time for those children who pick Work on Words for one of their D5 rounds.  I downloaded Erica Bohrer's Read the Room worksheet on TPT and hope to use that as well but I am not sure if it is intended or classifies as word work.  I am guessing it will in 1B :)

Signature

No comments:

Post a Comment